spring

Friday, November 15, 2013

Four

Four.  For the longest time my number was four.  

It wasn't until I was in college (while taking a class for my major) did I realize how strange and rare the number four was.  Nevertheless, I am 30 (31 in a few weeks) and my number was still four.

Four is the number of grandparents I had living.  Sa and Gramps. Grandmama and Granddaddy.  Four. Yes, all four.  I would tell people that and they would be amazed.  Most people my age lost their grandparents in middle school or high school or maybe even college.  Not Worth and me.  

Not only did I have all four, but they were happy, healthy, and in loving marriages that spanned 6 decades.  

The four have always been there.  Birthdays, holidays, chorus concerts, football games, graduations, and weddings.  They have always been there. 

The older that I get, the more I realize how wonderfully I was raised.  I had a great childhood and great examples surrounding me.  These four have a huge part in that.  I would not be who I am without the four.  In fact, I can't imagine life without them.  

Last October, we had a scare.  It was the first time I had started to really think about life moving on without the four.  We almost lost my granddaddy.  I know this last year wasn't so easy for him, but I am so happy that we had him a bit long.

Last night my number changed to three.  

I have many fond childhood memories from spending time on my grandparents property, Timberidge, with Granddaddy.  We would feed the fish, ducks, and goats, ride around in the woods for hours on the golf cart (I loved seeing the tree that grew sideways….do you remember that Worth?), play in the carriage house with the toys he had for Worth and me (including a swing he hung in the there).  I still can remember the scent of that carriage house.

We spent every Thanksgiving and Christmas with my Granddaddy and Grandmama growing up.  I will never forget as a young teenager Grandmama and Granddaddy dancing in the living room to a Harry Connick Christmas special we were watching on TV.  I watched and admired their love and respect for one another.

He was a special, gentle man.  He loved cracking jokes and telling stories.

There are things I will always remember about my granddaddy:

Hugging him so tight that his hearing aid would buzz.

How he would rattle the change in his pockets constantly.


He loved anything sweet, like lemon ice cream, pound cake, pecan sandies off the top of my head.


How he taught me to scale a fish.  How he taught me to be extra careful when holding a catfish…those whiskers could get ya.  

How his hands looked and how soft they felt.  And how he showed me with these hands what a dead man's 
finger feels like…(he would take my index finger and place it next to his, knuckles touching…the he would tell me to feel it…yuck!  I am sure Bo will think its hysterical one day.)

How he would put the flag up and take it down every day.  How he had pride in his country.


How handy he was….he could make or fix anything.


How he was there for all the big moments in my life.


How he LOVED my grandmama.


Probably the thing I will miss the most are his hugs.  He would hold you tight and pat you so gently with those soft hands unit you let go.  That is what I will miss the most.  That soft pat.


These are just a few of the many memories I will carry of him.  I hope to always remember his voice and his laugh…and especially those gentle hands patting my back while he hugged me.

Yes, four was a great number to have.  I was so blessed to have four there for everything.  I will miss my granddaddy everyday.

He lived a full life and I am happy to have his influence to carry with me and to pass to my children.

I love you Granddaddy.















2 comments:

  1. Tears in my eyes reading this one. You were definitely blessed beyond measure to have all four of them for such a long time. I just told James this morning how lucky he is to still have a great grandmother. Not every child does! I have been thinking about y'all and praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Precious child, he adored you so.

    ReplyDelete